The evolution of hotels in Darjeeling began in 1839 A.D. when 'The Darjeeling Family Hotel', which contained 12 rooms was established. This was followed by Drum Druid, Rockville, Bellevue, and the Central Hotel.
The Central Hotel was built in 1905 A.D. with 8 rooms and later in 1910 A.D., another 12 rooms were added to accommodate 40 Boarders. Robertson Road was called the Post Office Road then.
The main building of the hotel still has the distinct identity of the British period. Central Heritage Resort & Spa is one of the few oldest existing heritage hotels in Darjeeling.